Spammers Getting Creative
Posted August 12, 2009on:
This morning I found a spammer who I actually have a grudging admiration for. They’ve been a little more creative than posting a headless picture of a young (hot) girl or mass following anyone who mentions whatever they’re pushing in the hope they follow them back.
Check them out: http://twitter.com/SkiClubs
At the moment of writing they have 491 followers (to the 640 they are following). Twanalyst, a service I find very useful tells me:
|Tweets per day:||8.5|
|Readability index: (?)||18|
Personality: popular obsessive cautious
Style: garrulous academic
So there’s actually a website about skiing linked to from their profile, which doesn’t try to sell anything and has some content. Not a huge amount, but enough to appear legitimate from a casual glance – maybe it is, even. A nice background and a profile picture.
But let’s take a look at their ten most recent tweets…
So here’s what I think is impressive (for a spammer):
- There’s content that looks legitimate.
- 357 Tweets so this is someone who has some history.
- Some of the content is actually interesting, I would love to know what “Skwittering” is!
- It’s targeted. (They likely added me because in my profile it lists “ski instructor”)
Here’s what makes me say it’s spam:
- Anything which contains anything about “making money”
- Same “money making tweet repeated twice (tweets 2 and 8 )
- Almost all content links link to the homepage of the website. It suggests there’s content, an article or a blogpost – but there isn’t. So I still don’t know what “Skwittering” is…
- The content links as well are recycled. If you go back further through their tweets, there are multiple of the same of those as well.
Here’s what I would love to know:
- Did they make the ski website themselves or is it one they found? How much effort are they actually going to here?
- What’s the click-through rate?
- Are there multiple areas which are targeted? I.e. are they running a “rock climbing” twitter and website as well.
- Do they actually ski?