Week in Brief
Posted October 27, 2009on:
Last week my goals were:
- Write more on thesis not as much as I wanted, but some progress
- Create slides for presentation – made plan, have a good idea of what I want to do
- CA Project plan (need to find out what this entails)
- WISE event
- Write survey for other project – on hold until my supervisor gets back
- Keep working on Twitter Viz, maybe look for a new viz toolkit.
Last week was in some ways a write-off. I was miserable and strung out because of my TA job – after all the marking I did the week before (all Sunday afternoon and most of the evening) the Prof had made a mistake with the login he sent me, so that was all for nothing and I had to mark another group. And, as he didn’t mention this mistake when he sent me another username and password, I didn’t realize this had happened – until Wednesday when my marks had to be submitted Thursday morning. There was various other stuff, including a barrage of complaints from students about the marking scheme (I have no power! I have no power!) which meant by Friday I was really upset.
But then I spent the weekend in Boston, and whilst I’m slightly overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I’ve come back to and still feeling slightly motion sick from the 8 hour car journey, I really needed the break. And, I’ve finished reading Stumbling on Happiness (Amazon) – wonderful, insightful book. I’m not any happier, but at least I know why. And maybe it gives me some tools to make better predictions of what will make me happier in the future.
So, for this week:
- Read 8 papers
- Create diagram in Viseo
- Turn plan into slides for presentation
- Get started with CA Assignment 2
- Deal with final issues from marking fiasco
- Read 2 chapters of CA book
- Set up new laptop and get important stuff syncing.
- Code more on my viz stuff
- Write more on thesis
- More on website
- Move to Google Calendar
- Clear up apartment
- Finish reading Tribes (Amazon)