Java: Building Blocks and an Introduction to Processing
Posted November 14, 2009on:
Update: This will take place on Wednesday 18th and Friday 20th November, 7-9pm. Let me know if you’re interested.
I’m thinking to run a session on this tomorrow, with discussion going on via Wave. Will start at 10 or 11am EST and run for 2 hours, with another 2 hours in the afternoon.
Let me know if you’re interested. I know it’s short notice, so I may push back depending on when people want to do it, but this will happen in the next week or so.
What you’ll need:
- a Google Wave account
- Java SDK
- Processing, free download – we won’t be using the IDE that comes with it, but try and locate core.jar
I’ll assume your computer savvy enough to install Java and Eclipse by yourself as this could take up a lot of time in the session.
What we’ll cover:
- Your first program – “Hello World”
- Simple types (building blocks)
- What Object Oriented programming means
- Getting started with processing, displaying stuff
- Global vs. Local variables
This is loosely based on the teaching I’ve done and I have a lot of resources that I’ve created that I’ll share. I have enough to do a whole series of these online workshops, if there’s demand. As it gets cold and nasty outside this could be a good opportunity to learn to code if you’re interested in doing so.